France says Israel yet to respond to proposal aimed at bringing about truce with Lebanon

Israel has not given a response to France on Paris’ proposals to reduce tensions between Israel and Lebanon’s Iran-backed Hezbollah terror group, France’s foreign ministry spokesperson says.

Since October 8, Hezbollah-led forces have attacked Israeli communities and military posts along the border on a near-daily basis, with the group saying it is doing so to support Gaza amid the war against Hamas there.

France has historical ties with Lebanon and has presented written proposals to both sides that would see Hezbollah withdraw its forces 10 kilometers (6 miles) from the Israeli border and cease its rocket, drone and missile attacks, while Israel would halt strikes in southern Lebanon.

Foreign Minister Stephane Sejourne went to both Lebanon and Israel in April to push France’s efforts, and Israel’s foreign minister was in Paris earlier this month. Lebanon’s foreign minister was in Paris for talks yesterday.

“We have had a relatively positive response from the Lebanese, but I think we have not had any return from Israel at this point,” Christophe Lemoine tells reporters in a daily briefing.

The written proposal also looks at long-term border issues and had been discussed with partners including the United States, which has made its own efforts to ease tensions and exerts the most influence on Israel.

Most Popular