SARAJEVO — Bosnia’s presidency on Saturday strongly condemned a stone-throwing attack by an angry mob that forced Serbian Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic to flee a ceremony marking the 20th anniversary of the Srebrenica massacre.
The tripartite presidency “condemns in the strongest terms and voices deep regret over today’s attack,” a statement said.
Praising the Serbian premier’s attendance at the commemoration of the massacre of some 8,000 Bosnian Muslims males, the presidency called for a swift probe to identify the perpetrators of the attack.
Vucic came to Srebrenica in the “spirit of reconciliation and intending to pay respect to the victims,” the presidency said, adding that it apologized to “all foreign delegations” over the incident.
The view was echoed by the main Bosnian Muslim SDA party.
“Those who provoked today’s incident did not just attack Vucic, they also desecrated the religious burial (of the victims) and embarrassed Bosnian Muslims,” it said in a statement quoted by the FENA news agency.
Serbia labelled the attack on its prime minister an “assassination attempt” and had demanded condemnation of the incident by Bosnia. Vucic told reporters in Belgrade a stone hit his mouth but he was not hurt.
The Serbian premier had just laid a flower at a monument for thousands of victims identified and buried there when the crowd started to chant ‘Allahu Akbar’ (God is Great) and hurled stones, forcing the prime minister to run for cover shielded by his bodyguards.
Serbia’s Tanjug state-run news agency said Vucic was hit on the head by a stone and had his glasses broken.
Vucic had earlier condemned the “monstrous crime” in Srebrenica, where some 8,000 Muslim men and boys were murdered by Bosnian Serb forces who had captured Srebrenica in July 1995, near the end of Bosnia’s war.