An Erdogan is born near Bethlehem (of the Galilee)
search
Newborn delightNewborn delight

An Erdogan is born near Bethlehem (of the Galilee)

Tariq Nasser of Kafr Manda names third child after Turkish president following quelling of attempted coup

Ilan Ben Zion, a reporter at the Associated Press, is a former news editor at The Times of Israel. He holds a Masters degree in Diplomacy from Tel Aviv University and an Honors Bachelors degree from the University of Toronto in Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, Jewish Studies, and English.

Erdogan Nassar (Courtesy)
Erdogan Nassar (Courtesy)

After a failed military coup attempt in Turkey, Erdogan is now living in a village in northern Israel.

No, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan hasn’t given up statecraft in the midst of an epic purge of thousands of academics, civil servants and military officers. Rather, a resident of Kafr Manda in the Galilee decided to name his newborn son after the Turkish head of state.

Tariq Nassar told The Times of Israel that he named his third child, who was born Tuesday, Erdogan out of admiration for the Turkish prime minister-turned-president.

“You saw what happened the past few days,” he said. When it emerged that the attempted coup had been subdued and Erdogan proven victorious, Nassar decided to name his son after the triumphant president. “Not everyone can pull that off,” he said.

Nassar also said that although he’s never traveled to Turkey, he was moved by his esteem for Erdogan.

Earlier this week Arab residents of Jaffa and Kafr Qassem marched through the streets celebrating the quelling of the coup. Channel 10’s Sami Abdel Hamid, who first reported the naming of Erdogan Nassar, filmed Monday’s demonstration.

Friday night’s failed coup left over 200 dead, mostly civilians, and thousands more injured, as elements within the military attempted to oust Erdogan’s Islamist Justice and Development Party from power.

In the aftermath of the tumult, the government has purged thousands of employees accused of involvement or sympathy with the putschists.

The state-run Anadolu news agency reported Tuesday that Turkey’s Education Ministry had sacked 15,200 personnel for alleged involvement with a group the government claims is responsible for Friday’s coup attempt. An additional 257 people working at the office of the prime minister have been dismissed and their identification seized.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks to CNN on July 18, 2016 (YouTube screenshot)
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan speaks to CNN on July 18, 2016 (YouTube screenshot)

The National Education Ministry said Tuesday that the staff are in both urban and rural establishments, and that an investigation has been launched against them.

Anadolu also reported that Turkey’s media regulatory agency has canceled all broadcast rights and licenses for any media outlets that are linked to or are supportive of the group the government holds responsible for the coup.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

read more:
comments