France: Yemen rebel claim over Saudi oil attacks ‘lacks credibility’
search

France: Yemen rebel claim over Saudi oil attacks ‘lacks credibility’

French FM Le Drian cautions that it is best to wait for the results of international investigation, urges deescalation

French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian speaks during a joint press conference in Cairo, Egypt, September 17, 2019. (Maya Alleruzzo/AP)
French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian speaks during a joint press conference in Cairo, Egypt, September 17, 2019. (Maya Alleruzzo/AP)

PARIS, France — French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said Thursday that a claim by Yemeni rebels that they carried out attacks on two Saudi oil facilities “lacks credibility.”

“The Houthis, who are Yemeni rebels, announced that it was they who provoked this attack, which lacks credibility,” Le Drian told France’s CNews channel.

Tehran-backed Houthi rebels in Saudi Arabia’s southern neighbor Yemen have claimed responsibility for the attacks, which knocked out half of Saudi oil production.

But both Washington and Riyadh have ruled that out and pinned the blame on Saudi’s arch-foe Iran.

On Wednesday, Saudi Arabia displayed what it said were fragments of 25 drones and cruise missiles, which they said proved the attack was carried out by Tehran.

Le Drian cast doubt on the ability of the Houthis to carry out an attack of that scale and range from Yemen.

“But given that there is an international investigation let’s wait for the results,” he said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday denounced the strikes as an “act of war,” comments seen as raising the risk of a wider conflict in the Gulf region.

French President Emmanuel Macron has been trying to broker a reduction in the tensions, which have intensified since the US pulled out of a deal on Iran’s nuclear program last year and reimposed crippling sanctions.

On Wednesday, France announced that it was sending experts to Saudi Arabia to help investigate the origin of the oil attacks.

Le Drian linked the timing of the strikes to next week’s UN General Assembly in New York, where a meeting between US President Donald Trump and his Iranian counterpart Hassan Rouhani had been mooted.

“We need now to return to the principle of deescalation,” he said.

Join us!
A message from the Editor of Times of Israel
David Horovitz

For as little as $6 a month, you can help support our independent journalism — and enjoy special benefits and status as a Times of Israel Community member!

The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.

We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.

Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.

Join our community
read more:
comments