The IDF acknowledges that it was a mistake not to update the public ahead of Hezbollah’s large rocket and drone attack on northern Israel last night, especially once Israel’s assessments of the planned barrage were leaked on social media and published by international media.
The military had indications that Hezbollah planned a larger-than-usual attack, though it was not seen by the IDF as exceptionally major, considering that the terror group had already been firing hundreds of rockets at Israel amid the war with Iran.
News of the indications leaked on social media in the late afternoon, and several regional councils in northern Israel updated their residents that heavy fire from Lebanon was expected. CNN also reported, citing Israeli officials, that Israel was expecting a potential “significant expansion” of attacks from Hezbollah and Iran.
Military officials admit that the IDF should have been more transparent with the Israeli public regarding the assessments ahead of the barrage, especially once they were circulating online, mainly to maintain public trust.
The military did begin to update local authorities in the north shortly before the Hezbollah attack began. But IDF officials acknowledge that this was far too late, saying that the public should have been notified much earlier.
The IDF says it will investigate and learn from the incident, and in the future, will work to update the public ahead of potential major attacks.
Hezbollah’s attack consisted of around 200 rockets and some 20 drones, according to the IDF, which says that this was only a third of what the terror group had initially planned.
The vast majority of the 200 rockets were intercepted or struck open areas. There were two impacts in residential areas, causing damage and lightly injuring two people. Nearly all of the drones were intercepted, aside from one that crashed near a border community without exploding, according to the military.
The IDF says it carried out several actions ahead of the barrage to thwart the attack, including striking at least one of the rocket launchers and several Hezbollah command centers in Lebanon.
Once the rocket barrage began, the IDF launched strikes against the launchers it was further able to identify, saying it destroyed around half of them.
Since March 2, when Hezbollah began attacking Israel in response to the killing of Iran’s late supreme leader Ali Khamenei, the terror group has launched around 100 rockets a day, according to the IDF.
The IDF says two-thirds of those rockets have been aimed at Israeli forces operating in southern Lebanon and along the border, while a third have been aimed at Israel.
In addition, Hezbollah has launched more than 100 drones at Israel during that time, the vast majority of which were shot down by the Israeli Air Force, according to the military.