The US and Israel carried out heavy strikes on Iranian security forces in the northwest of Iran early in the current war because they were aiming to ease the path for an invasion by Kurdish forces “all the way to Tehran,” according to a detailed Channel 12 probe.
The report claims to confirm the seriousness of an ostensible Mossad-developed plan to utilize the Kurds to help oust the regime, adding fresh details to previous such reports in Israel and internationally.
Tens of thousands of armed Kurdish fighters were indeed intended to cross the border from Iraq in the first days of the war, with US and Israeli air cover. They were then to join forces with and provide arms to Kurdish fighters inside Iran, engage and extend the regime’s forces, and help reignite widespread Iranian protests, the report says.
The report interviews a member of the Kurdish Freedom Party (PAK) and other Kurdish commentators asserting that there was wide agreement among Kurdish groups to “cooperate to bring down the regime,” and says there were two specific moments when the invasion was set to begin.
On the first of these, the invasion was postponed after news of its impending start was leaked in US media — with Fox News on March 4 reporting that an offensive had begun, and the White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt asked that same day whether the US was arming the Kurds for that purpose.
Dr. Raz Zimmt, the Director of the Iran and the Shiite Axis research program at the Institute for National Security Studies, says the idea was that the invasion would “start a domino effect — first the Kurds and then other sectors” joining the assault.
The combination of the intensive US-Israel joint strikes on the regime and its leaders, and the Kurdish invasion, was intended to “break the fear barrier” among the Iranian opposition, who had seen thousands murdered by the regime in previous weeks, the report says.
The TV report says that the Mossad had been working on the plan for years, cites foreign reports that the Mossad and CIA have long been arming the Kurds, and says current Mossad chief David Barnea presented it to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and discussed it in Washington DC.
While IDF Military Intelligence thought it had a slim chance of success, it was presented both in Israel and the US as “hermetic,” the report claims, amid confidence that “the Kurds would do their part.”
This assessment helped Netanyahu convince US President Donald Trump to proceed with the joint strikes on the regime from February 28, a claim that has been widely reported.
The media leaks were the immediate reason the invasion did not happen, the report says, with Zimmt saying that the regime realized what could be about to unfold, and devoted military power, and diplomatic efforts with Iraq, to help prevent it.
Subsequently, there was a second potential opportunity to invade, the TV report says, but that, too, was scrapped, and the whole idea is now “off the agenda.”
The report says the overall plan was “full of holes.” Among these, it says, were the opposition from Trump’s ally Recep Tayyip Erdogan, the Kurds’ nemesis, and several Gulf states, who worried about Iran collapsing into several entities, destabilizing the region. Erdogan pressed Trump, who initially backed the plan, not to go ahead with it, the report says.
Moreover, the Kurds themselves were wary — fearful of their prospects against the mighty regime, especially when the US and Israel were not ready to send in ground forces. A Kurdish source tells the report that the Kurds were worried that the US and Israel would stop the war in the middle, the regime would easily recover, and it would slaughter the Kurds.
Moreover, the report cites a lack of trust by the Kurds in the US — stemming from the fact that they fought ISIS together but feel Trump then abandoned them in favor of Syria’s Ahmad al-Sharaa and Erdogan. They would thus either be murdered if they failed or again come out empty-handed if successful.
A month into the war, Netanyahu is “disappointed” at the failure of a plan he had “adopted,” the report says, confirming previous reports that he was frustrated with Barnea, while Trump “has long since changed direction.”
The failure has raised tension between the two leaders and was reportedly the subject of a tense call between US Vice President JD Vance and Netanyahu on Monday.