Saudi FM: Assad must go at start of Syrian transition
search

Saudi FM: Assad must go at start of Syrian transition

Adel al-Jubeir also says Riyadh will itself take delivery of $3-billion worth of French arms initially destined for Lebanon

Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir arrives at the Bayerischer Hof hotel to participate at the 52nd Munich Security Conference in Munich on February 12, 2016.  (AFP/THOMAS KIENZLE)
Saudi Arabian Foreign Minister Adel bin Ahmed Al-Jubeir arrives at the Bayerischer Hof hotel to participate at the 52nd Munich Security Conference in Munich on February 12, 2016. (AFP/THOMAS KIENZLE)

Syrian President Bashar Assad must leave office at the start of a transition in his country, not at its culmination, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said Saturday, Reuters reported.

Speaking during a visit to France, Jubeir said: “For us it is very clear it’s at the beginning of the process, not at the end of the process, it’s not going to be 18 months.”

His comments came exactly a week after a US- and Russian-brokered ceasefire took hold in the war-torn country, reportedly bringing the violence to its lowest levels for more than a year.

The UN now is planning to make a fresh stab at peace talks suspended due to the fighting.

Syrian President Bashar Assad gestures during an interview in the capital Damascus on February 11, 2016. (AFP/Joseph Eid)
Syrian President Bashar Assad gestures during an interview in the capital Damascus on February 11, 2016. (AFP/Joseph Eid)

The UN’s special envoy to Syria, Staffan de Mistura, said last week that he plans to call a new round of negotiations beginning on March 7 and lasting initially for three weeks.

Syrians sit on bags of flour that they have unloaded after an aid convoy of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent entered the rebel-held town of Saqba, on the outskirts of the capital Damascus on March 4, 2016. (AFP/AMER ALMOHIBANY)
Syrians sit on bags of flour that they have unloaded after an aid convoy of the Syrian Arab Red Crescent entered the rebel-held town of Saqba, on the outskirts of the capital Damascus on March 4, 2016. (AFP/AMER ALMOHIBANY)

The latest effort at talks were suspended in February without ever really getting started, in the face of relentless bombing by regime forces and key Damascus backer Russia. But de Mistura said the move to seal a ceasefire and increasing humanitarian aid since then had changed the dynamic.

Jubeir also said Saturday that Saudi Arabia would itself take delivery of a $3 billion arms deal from France initially destined for Lebanon. Riyadh recently announced it was withholding the delivery of weapons to Lebanon in protest over Hezbollah, the Lebanon-based terror group allied to Saudi rival Iran that is fighting in support of the Syrian regime.

In light of positions taken by Hezbollah, the kingdom had conducted “a total evaluation of its relations with the Lebanese republic,” an unnamed official told the Saudi Press Agency last month.

AP and AFP contributed to this report

read more:
less
comments
more