Defiant Abbas says he won’t halt stipends to terrorists
search

Defiant Abbas says he won’t halt stipends to terrorists

Palestinian leader says PA will not allow anyone to 'interfere' with who it disburses money to; claims Arab states oppose Trump peace plan

Mahmoud Abbas, center, addressing a Fatah Central Committee meeting in Ramallah on July 8, 2018. (Wafa)
Mahmoud Abbas, center, addressing a Fatah Central Committee meeting in Ramallah on July 8, 2018. (Wafa)

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas said Sunday that he will continue paying stipends to Palestinian attackers and their families despite the Israeli parliament’s decision last week to withhold hundreds of millions in funds from taxes collected on the Palestinian Authority’s behalf.

Abbas defiantly told a meeting of Fatah party leaders that the Palestinian government would pay “our martyrs and prisoners and wounded people” as it had since 1965.

“We will not allow anyone to interfere with the money that Israel is against us paying to the families of martyrs and prisoners,” he said, according to an official transcript released by state-run news agency Wafa.

Israel has called on Palestinians for years to halt the stipends, which benefit roughly 35,000 families of Palestinians killed, wounded or jailed in the conflict with Israel, many of them accused of involvement in terror. Israel says the stipends encourage violence.

Among the beneficiaries are families of suicide bombers and others involved in deadly terrorist attacks on Israelis.

The Palestinians contend the number of stipend recipients involved in deadly attacks is a small fraction of those aided by the fund. They say that the tax revenue collected by Israel for them under past peace agreements is their money and that the Palestinian Authority has a responsibility to all of its citizens like any other government.

The stipends amount to approximately $330 million, or about 7 percent of the Palestinian Authority’s $5 billion budget in 2018.

‘Arabs against Trump peace plan’

Abbas also said that the Trump administration’s efforts to restart the Israeli-Palestinian peace process are doomed to fail.

Jared Kushner, President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, said last month that the administration would soon present its Israeli-Palestinian peace plan whether or not it had Abbas’s support.

A picture taken on August 24, 2017 in the West Bank city of Ramallah shows a Palestinian holding a burnt flyer depicting US President Donald J. Trump defaced with cartoon shoes on his head, during a protest against the arrival of a US delegation headed by Senior White House Advisor Jared Kushner to meet with Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas. (AFP PHOTO / ABBAS MOMANI)

Abbas said the Palestinians would “will not let the ‘Deal of the Century’ work,” referring to Trump’s term for his administration’s peace efforts.

“We have assured the world that we are against it, that we will not accept it and we will not allow it to pass,” he said, according to Wafa.

Abbas said other Arab countries also have rejected the US plan, but didn’t say which countries opposed the plan.

read more:
comments