Blinken reiterates support of truce deal to Netanyahu, updates him on post-war talks

Jacob Magid is The Times of Israel's US bureau chief

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, left, meets Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem, June 10, 2024. (Amos Ben Gershom/GPO)
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, left, meets Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Jerusalem, June 10, 2024. (Amos Ben Gershom/GPO)

During his meeting earlier this evening with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken stressed the commitment of US President Joe Biden and other world leaders to “stand[ing] behind” the Israeli hostage release-ceasefire proposal that is awaiting a Hamas response, the State Department says.

Blinken “underscored the United States’ ironclad commitment to Israel’s security, including through ensuring October 7 can never be repeated,” according to the US readout. In his May 31 speech unveiling key components of the Israeli proposal, Biden argued that Israel has successfully downgraded Hamas’s capabilities to the point where they can no longer carry out another attack like the one they did eight months ago that sparked the ongoing war.

The top US diplomat also reiterated the administration’s belief that the ceasefire proposal would “unlock the possibility of calm along Israel’s northern border and further integration with countries in the region,” while “emphasizing the importance of preventing the conflict from spreading.”

The US readout says Blinken “updated” Netanyahu on “ongoing diplomatic efforts to plan for the post-conflict period” — efforts that Washington has repeatedly implored Netanyahu to advance himself, warning that failure to do so will ensure that Israel gets bogged down fighting in Gaza indefinitely.

National Unity chairman Benny Gantz left the emergency government yesterday, partly over the premier’s refusal to take on this task amid pressure from his far-right coalition partners.

Most Popular