search

Gantz approves call-up of 5,000 reserve soldiers amid continuing violence

Judah Ari Gross is The Times of Israel's military correspondent.

Defense Minister Benny Gantz holds a security assessment after Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip fired barrages of rockets at Israel, including toward Jerusalem, May 10, 2021. (Tal Oz/Defense Ministry)
Defense Minister Benny Gantz holds a security assessment after Palestinian terrorists in the Gaza Strip fired barrages of rockets at Israel, including toward Jerusalem, May 10, 2021. (Tal Oz/Defense Ministry)

Defense Minister Benny Gantz approves the potential call-up of 5,000 reserve soldiers in light of the ongoing fighting between Israel and terror groups in the Gaza Strip.

Gantz’s office says the 5,000 troops will include members of units in the Southern Command, Home Front Command and Operations Directorate.

The reservists will not be called up immediately, but can be brought in on short notice if necessary, Gantz’s office says.

“This is for the continuation of operations as part of Operation Guardian of the Walls and reinforcements for defending the home front,” Gantz says, referring to the operation’s official IDF designation.

Earlier in the morning, Gantz gave approval to the IDF for continued operations against terror targets.

comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed