Samantha Bee, appearing on her TBS late night show “Full Frontal” for the first time since calling Ivanka Trump a “feckless c***,” again apologized both to the president’s daughter and her audience.
“A lot of people were offended and angry that I used an epithet to describe the president’s daughter last week. It is a word I have used on the show many times trying to reclaim it. This time I used it as an insult. I crossed the line. I regret it and I do apologize for that,” Bee said during the opening monologue of her show.
Sam addresses the controversy from last week's show. pic.twitter.com/RtqBOhOCVf
— Full Frontal (@FullFrontalSamB) June 7, 2018
She also said: “I hate that I did something to contribute to the nightmare of 24-hour news cycles that we’re all white-knuckling through. I should have known that a potty-mouthed insult would be inherently more interesting to them than juvenile immigration policy. I would do anything to help those kids. I hate that this distracted from them and so to them I am also sorry.”
Later the TV host also apologized for “breaking America” with her insult of the first daughter.
Bee, who came under fire for her remarks from the White House, politicians and fellow actors, and also lost at least two sponsors for her show, had already apologized in a tweet on May 31, the day after the segment was aired, calling her use of the expletive “inappropriate and inexcusable.”
On her May 30 show, Bee referenced a social media post by President Donald Trump’s Jewish daughter showing Ivanka Trump and her young son snuggling.
“You know, Ivanka, that’s a beautiful photo of you and your child, but let me just say, one mother to another, ‘Do something about your dad’s immigration practices, you feckless c***!’” Bee said.
— Ivanka Trump (@IvankaTrump) May 27, 2018
“He listens to you,” she added. “Put on something tight and low-cut and tell your father to f***ing stop it. Tell him it was an Obama thing and see how it goes, OK?”
Bee was criticizing the federal government for reportedly “losing” last year some 1,500 migrant children. The issue had come to the fore over the weekend when U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions announced that migrants attempting to enter the country without documentation would be separated from their children.