PM retracts comparison of Hebron shooter to fallen soldiers
search
Ehud Barak slams PM's 'confused' comparison

PM retracts comparison of Hebron shooter to fallen soldiers

Netanyahu scrambles to clarify that he was misunderstood in commenting on serviceman on trial for manslaughter

Stuart Winer is a breaking news editor at The Times of Israel.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at UN headquarters in New York City, September 22, 2016. (Amir Levy/Flash90)
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at UN headquarters in New York City, September 22, 2016. (Amir Levy/Flash90)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday vehemently denied that he had intended to draw a comparison between the plight of an IDF soldier on trial for the manslaughter in the killing of a Palestinian attacker and soldiers missing or killed in action.

The prime minister’s clarification came a day after he told Channel 2 in an interview that he had no regrets over a supportive phone call he made earlier this year to the father of Elor Azaria, accused of killing an incapacitated Palestinian stabber in Hebron.

Netanyahu, whose conversation with Charlie Azaria in late March was criticized by some as inappropriate — as judges had yet to rule in the case of his son — said in the interview: “I’ve called many distressed parents whose children fell [in combat] or were declared MIA…and here [too] we have a matter of great distress for Israelis, I want you to understand that.”

The comments drew criticism for apparently putting Azaria and missing or fallen soldiers in the same category.

In a Facebook post early Sunday morning, Netanyahu wrote: “I am sorry if what I said was not understood correctly.

“In no way did I want to compare the suffering of bereaved families [of IDF soldiers], a suffering which I know well, to the situation of other parents who are in distress,” the prime minister added, in an apparent reference to his brother Yoni Netanyahu, who was killed during the 1976 IDF special forces raid to rescue kidnapped Israelis held by terrorists in Entebbe airport, Uganda.

“There is no comparison and there cannot be any comparison,” he said.

Elior Azaria seen during a court hearing at a military court in Jaffa, August 30, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)
Elior Azaria seen during a court hearing at a military court in Jaffa, August 30, 2016. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

Netanyahu’s bureau also issued a statement sharply criticizing any who saw the prime minister’s remarks to Channel 2 as a comparison.

“Prime Minister Netanyahu didn’t compare between the soldier Elor Azaria and fallen soldiers. This is a low, perverse and deceitful attempt to present his words as such. Prime Minister Netanyahu respects the families of fallen soldiers and the families of missing soldiers and is very aware of their impossible pain.”

One of the more strident criticisms in the wake of the interview came from former prime minister Ehud Barak, who was Netanyahu’s commander in the IDF’s elite Sayeret Matkal commando unit decades before he served under him as defense minister.

“Whoever compares Elor Azaria to the heroes of Israel and missing fighters is a startled and confused person who has lost his sense of justice, or, God forbid, has decided to try and smash the values of the IDF,” Barak tweeted Saturday. “This cannot be allowed. A serving prime minister who doesn’t take back this wanton folly will forever carry with him the stigma of one who has forgotten what it means to be a fighter in the IDF.”

Former prime minister Ehud Barak speaks at a conference for the left-wing Darkenu organization in Rishon Lezion on August 17, 2016. (Neri Lider)
Former prime minister Ehud Barak speaks at a conference for the left-wing Darkenu organization in Rishon Lezion on August 17, 2016. (Neri Lider)

Barak, who quit politics in 2012, has recently voiced other criticism of Netanyahu, saying that the prime minister’s “reckless” relationship with US President Barak Obama resulted in a diminished defense aid package deal, signed two weeks ago, and valued at $38 billion over the next decade.

Azaria has been charged with manslaughter after he was filmed shooting Palestinian assailant Abdel Fattah al-Sharif in the head on March 24, nearly 15 minutes after Sharif was shot by soldiers during an attempt to stab them in Hebron.

The soldier testified in July that he feared al-Sharif’s body was fitted with a bomb. Prosecutors have disputed this.

The killing made international headlines and the subsequent trial has sparked much controversy and inflamed political tensions in Israel, with far-right supporters and some politicians accusing the defense establishment of abandoning one of its own.

Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.

read more:
comments