Israeli security forces arrested two Palestinians suspected of carrying out an attempted shooting and successful car-ramming in the northern West Bank last month, the military says ahead of their indictment.
On January 9, the two men drove their car to a military checkpoint near the Palestinian village of Yabed armed with a loaded Carlo-style makeshift submachine gun. As they approached, the gun fell out of the car, so no shots were fired, but as they sped away, the driver rammed the vehicle into one of the soldiers at the checkpoint, lightly injuring him.
A manhunt was launched to track down the two suspects, and a gag order was placed on the case, barring outlets from publishing further details about it.
That has been lifted today, as the Israel Defense Forces reveals that the two suspects were arrested in a joint operation with the Shin Bet security service and Border Police days after the attack in the nearby Palestinian village of Qabatiya.
The military also releases helmet cam footage of the arrest, showing members of the elite counterterrorism Duvdevan unit raiding the village late at night and arresting one of the suspects from his bed.
The pair is due to be indicted in a military court later this month, the IDF says.