The commander of the Golani Brigade’s Reconnaissance Battalion was attacked by settlers last night outside the Kedumim settlement during a violent protest over the death of a teenage Jewish extremist in a car chase with police last month, the Israel Defense Forces says.
IDF Chief of Staff Aviv Kohavi denounces the attack on the officer, saying in a statement that such violence must be rejected by Israeli society.
The assailant, whose name has not been released, was detained at the site of the attack and handed over to police, the military says.
The assault occurred while the military was opening up a roadway that had been blocked by the protesters on Saturday night.
“After a traffic jam had built up on the scene, a military force removed the protesters and ordered them to clear out the roadway. When they refused, the troops worked to clear the protesters from the highway. One of the protesters used physical violence against the IDF officer. He was detained at the site and handed over to the police officers on the scene for further treatment. The officer filed a complaint with the police,” the military says.