Man dies from snake bite

Paramedics fail to save life of 53-year-old who was bitten on his hand

Illustrative photo: A viper (photo credit: CC-BY-H. Krisp, Wikimedia Commons)
Illustrative photo: A viper (photo credit: CC-BY-H. Krisp, Wikimedia Commons)

A 53-year-old man died Friday after being bitten on his hand by a poisonous snake, near Hokok Beach on the Sea of Galilee.

Paramedics who arrived on the scene to find the man unconscious carried out extensive resuscitation efforts, but were unable to save his life.

On Wednesday, a 28-year-old man from the Galilee was rushed to hospital in serious condition after being bitten by a viper. He was treated for his wounds and sent home two days later.

Local vipers, Vipera palaestinae, are the most common poisonous snakes found in Israel. They grow to an average length of 90 centimeters (36 inches) and are mainly nocturnal. Their venom contains a hematoxin that damages blood circulation and the lymphatic system. They generally feed on small rodents, toads, and birds.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.