A 9-year-old boy was seriously burned on Thursday after his Samsung mobile phone exploded in his pocket

According to Hebrew media reports, the boy was on his way to school in the morning when the Samsung S4 phone exploded.

He was said not to have been using the phone at the time of the incident.

He was taken to an urgent care clinic for medical treatment, where he was treated for second-degree burns before being released.

A burned Samsung cell phone suspected of combusting, injuring a boy. (David Zlotnick)

A burned Samsung cell phone suspected of combusting, injuring a boy. (David Zlotnick)

There was no immediate comment from Samsung.

Samsung has previously had issues with its phones exploding, most notably the Galaxy Note 7, which the company was eventually forced to recall.

In March, a Samsung S4 — the same model in Thursday’s incident — exploded in the lap of a 15-year-old girl in Australia while on her way to school, setting her skirt on fire and leaving her with first-degree burns, The Daily Mail reported at the time.