Schools and kindergartens throughout the country will participate on Thursday in a civil defense drill simulating rocket attacks, the Education Ministry said Tuesday.
The exercise is scheduled from 10:05 a.m. to noon, and is a joint effort involving the Home Front Command, regional police forces, Magen David Adom emergency services, the Education Ministry, fire services, and local authorities. The only schools excluded from participating are those within seven kilometers of the Gaza Strip.
“The exercise is designed to increase the education system’s readiness for missile attack scenarios, and improve effective behavior during and after an occurrence,” the Education Ministry said in a press release. “A special emphasis will be placed… on moving students into the nearest protected area in the most effective manner. Also, emphasis will be placed on rocket attack coping strategies for education teams — teachers, teachers assistants and other staff at educational institutions.”
A school in Ashkelon took a direct hit from Gazan rockets during Operation Pillar of Defense in November, but was empty after kids had been sent home hours before the attack.
|Like us on Facebook||Get our newsletter||Follow us on Twitter|