A 12-year-old boy was rescued from the window of a burning apartment building in the central city of Rishon Lezion Wednesday. The boy was moderately injured and five other people, among them his rescuers, were taken to the hospital for treatment from smoke inhalation caused by the fire in the four-story building.
In a video from the incident, the boy could be seen leaning on an air-conditioning unit attached to the outside of the building as he tried to get as far from the flames and the fumes as possible. People could be heard calling to him to lower his head out of the black smoke pouring from the window in order to breathe the cleaner air below.
Police who were called to the scene and civilians rushed to the top floor but were unable to open the locked door to the apartment. Instead, they climbed through an access hatch to the roof and lowered a rope down to the boy so that they could pull him to safety, exposing themselves to the smoke as well.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames which caused devastating damage to the top floor apartment.
One of the officers involved in the rescue collapsed from smoke inhalation after the boy was pulled to safety, Channel 12 news reported.
The injured were taken to Assaf Harofeh Medical Center near the city for treatment.
— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) April 28, 2021
Later in the day, the boy met with some of those who were involved in his rescue.