Israel has agreed to an Egyptian-proposed humanitarian ceasefire, but the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group has refused the offer, unnamed Palestinian sources tell Channel 13 news.
The report says two time slots were proposed for a halt in hostilities — 6 a.m. on Monday morning or 3 a.m. on Tuesday morning. It was unclear why those times were chosen.
Channel 12 news, meanwhile, says an unnamed Israeli official has confirmed “contacts” over a full ceasefire, also being mediated by Egypt.
Israeli sources tell the Walla news site that Israel is concerned that a deterioration in the humanitarian situation in the Strip could lead to Hamas joining the fighting. So far, the terror group which rules Gaza has stayed on the sidelines.
The Channel 13 report says the ceasefire would allow for fuel to enter the coastal enclave for the Strip’s power plant.
The electricity supply in Gaza has dropped from 12 hours to only four hours a day, the report says.
Islamic Jihad was said to have rejected a similar proposal on Saturday, with a source from the terror group telling the Hezbollah-affiliated Al-Mayadeen TV that “now is the time to respond to the crimes of the occupation.”