search

Lebanon says maritime deal with Israel at ‘make or break’ stage

Lebanese President Michel Aoun, right, meets with US Envoy for Energy Affairs Amos Hochstein, at the presidential palace, in Beirut, Lebanon, September 9, 2022. (Dalati Nohra, Lebanon's official government photographer, via AP)
Lebanese President Michel Aoun, right, meets with US Envoy for Energy Affairs Amos Hochstein, at the presidential palace, in Beirut, Lebanon, September 9, 2022. (Dalati Nohra, Lebanon's official government photographer, via AP)

A senior Lebanese negotiator tells the Reuters news agency that the proposed maritime border deal with Israel is at a “make or break stage.”

The comments come after a senior Israeli official says Jerusalem has rejected Lebanon’s requested modifications to the US-brokered deal.

Top Lebanese negotiator Elias Bou Saab tells Reuters that he would only respond to official statements and not to media reports on Israel’s stance.

He says the deal “is 90% done but the remaining 10% could make it or break it,” adding that he is in constant contact with US mediator Amos Hochstein.

Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed