search

Over 300 charged in Tehran protests; 4 may face death penalty 

Indictments issued against 4 individuals on charges of ‘waging a war against God,’ Tehran prosecutor says, as protests over the death of Mahsa Amini enter their 38th day

Iranians protest a 22-year-old woman Mahsa Amini's death after she was detained by the morality police, in Tehran, September 20, 2022. (AP Photo/Middle East Images, File)
Iranians protest a 22-year-old woman Mahsa Amini's death after she was detained by the morality police, in Tehran, September 20, 2022. (AP Photo/Middle East Images, File)

TEHRAN, Iran — More than 300 people have been indicted over Tehran protests sparked by the death of Mahsa Amini, including four who were charged with an offense that can carry the death penalty, Iran’s judiciary said Monday.

The Islamic Republic has witnessed a wave of protests over the death of 22-year-old Amini on September 16, after her arrest by the morality police in Tehran for allegedly violating the country’s strict dress code for women.

The street violence has led to dozens of deaths, mostly among demonstrators but also among the security forces, and hundreds of protesters have been arrested.

Tehran prosecutor Ali Salehi said that indictments have been issued for 315 people on charges of “congregating and colluding with the intention of acting against the country’s security,” “propaganda against the system,” and “disturbing public order,” the Judiciary’s Mizan Online news website reported.

He added that “indictments were also issued for four rioters on charges of “moharebeh,” which means “war against God,” a charge that can carry a death sentence.

They are accused of “using a weapon to terrorize the society and people, injuring security officers, setting fire to and destroying public and government property with the intent to disrupt the country’s security, and confronting the holy system of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Salehi added.

Meanwhile, Iran’s judiciary chief Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei announced that the processing of cases related to protesters “has already started,” according to Mizan Online.

“The trial of those who committed crimes… and were affiliated with counter-revolutionary elements inside and outside and with foreigners will be held carefully and according to the law, and these people will be punished according to the law,” he stressed.

The judiciary had previously announced on October 12 that more than 100 people had been charged in Tehran province and Hormozgan province over the unrest.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
image
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure: example@domain.com
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.