search

Palestinian said killed by soldiers in northern West Bank clash

In separate raids, army arrests several suspects believed to have assisted Barkan terrorist who killed two Israelis earlier this month

A Palestinian man was killed overnight in clashes with Israeli soldiers in a northern West Bank village, Palestinian media reported.

The riot broke out when troops entered the village of Tammun, close to Jenin, for a predawn raid.

According to the Israel Defense Forces, some 50 Palestinians threw rocks and set off fireworks at the soldiers that entered the village. In response, the troops fired live rounds, as well as tear gas, at the rioters.

The official Palestinian Authority news agency Wafa reported that the man, 21-year-old Muhammed Bisharat was shot in the chest. He was taken to a hospital, where he succumbed to his wounds.

The report said approximately ten other Palestinians suffered from various injuries.

No Israeli soldiers were injured.

A military spokesperson said she was aware of the reports of Palestinian casualties, but refused to comment further.

Elsewhere in the northern West Bank, Israeli security forces arrested a number of Palestinian suspects who were believed to have aided the terrorist who shot dead two Israelis and wounded a third in the Barkan Industrial Park earlier this month.

Kim Levengrond Yehezkel, 29 (left), and Ziv Hajbi, 35, who were killed in a terror shooting in the Barkan industrial zone in the West Bank, October 7, 2018 (screenshots: Facebook)

The suspect, Ashraf Na’alowa, fled the scene after the terror attack, prompting a massive search effort throughout the West Bank.

Early Wednesday morning, undercover troops from the IDF, Israel Police and Shin Bet security service conducted raids in the West Bank city of Tulkarem and town of Danaba — close to the site of the Barkan attack and the suspect’s home village of Shuweika.

During one of the arrests in Danaba, of a man believed to have given Na’alowa food and shelter during his escape, Israeli troops opened fire at the suspect’s house, causing no injuries, the army said.

The suspect was arrested and, along with the others, handed over to the Shin Bet security service for questioning.

In total, Israeli troops arrested 16 Palestinian suspects in overnight raids across the West Bank, the army said.

Ashraf Walid Suleiman Na’alowa, a Palestinian man suspected of carrying out a deadly terror attack on October 7, 2018 in the Barkan Industrial Zone in the northern West Bank. (Courtesy)

Na’alowa has been on the run since brutally killing Kim Levengrond Yehezkel and Ziv Hajbi on October 7 at the factory in the Barkan Industrial Zone where he was employed. A third Israeli, Sara Vaturi, was wounded in the attack.

Several members of Na’alowa’s family have been detained or arrested following the attack. The Israeli military has issued a number of warnings to Palestinians in the northern West Bank not to assist Na’alowa.

The army has said Na’alowa had no history of terrorist activities and was not tied to any terror groups, though several of them applauded his actions.

read more:
comments
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed