RAMALLAH — The Palestinians will submit a draft resolution to the UN Security Council later this month calling for an end date for Israeli occupation, a senior official said on Tuesday.
The text, which the Palestinians have been preparing for weeks, is expected to be vetoed by permanent member the United States.
But officials in Ramallah have said that will not deter them after round upon round of failed peace talks with Israel.
“No other solution has been proposed by the United States” to achieve peace and the establishment of a Palestinian state, senior Palestine Liberation Organization official Wassel Abu Yusef told AFP.
“The US administration is pushing to resume bilateral negotiations, even while it’s clear that these have failed throughout the last few years.”
The last round of talks broke down in April after nine months of fruitless US-brokered meetings The two sides have traded blame for the failure while the US has, unofficially, largely placed the blame on continued settlement activity and on Netanyahu.
The Palestinians have been under intense pressure not to push forward with the Security Council resolution — including with alleged threats of cuts to US aid.
Saeb Erekat, a senior Palestinian negotiator in the failed US-brokered peace talks with Israel, said last month that US Secretary of State John Kerry told him when they met in Cairo that Washington would oppose the Palestinian initiatives.
“I don’t know if he [Kerry] used the term veto, [but] he said [going to] the Security Council is not an option. He was very clear with me.”
Erekat said Kerry reiterated Washington’s support for a two-state solution to resolve the conflict but told him to refrain from any action that would “undermine” US efforts to resume peace talks.
PLO secretary general Yasser Abed Rabbo had said last month that the text would be submitted by the end of October but that target date passed.
The Palestinians have said that if Washington does wield its veto, they will seek membership in the International Criminal Court, where they could sue Israeli officials over alleged war crimes in the occupied territories.
Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.