Pentagon releases video of Navy jets chasing UFO
search
Close encounters

Pentagon releases video of Navy jets chasing UFO

As US Department of Defense discloses info on shadowy program, pilot recalls mysterious object that 'accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen'

The Pentagon has acknowledged funding a secret multi-million dollar program to investigate sightings of UFOs and released video from a fighter jet that encountered a so-far unexplained object.

The shadowy program ended in 2012, according to the US Defense Department, but the New York Times reported that it is still up and running — with officials continuing to study incidents brought to their attention by US military service members while performing their regular duties at the Pentagon.

The so-called Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program operated from 2007 to 2012 and had $22 million a year in funding tucked away in the Pentagon’s gargantuan budget, the Times said, quoting program participants and records.

The program yielded documents describing sightings of unidentified flying aircraft that apparently moved very fast with no visible sign of propulsion or hovered with no apparent means of lift, the Times said.

Program officials also examined video of encounters between unknown objects and US military aircraft.

This included one released in August of a whitish oval object about the size of a jetliner, being pursued by two Navy fighter jets from an aircraft carrier off the California coast in 2004, the paper added.

Commander David Fravor and Lieutenant Commander Jim Slaight were two F-18 Super Hornet fighter jet pilots on a training exercise who were diverted to chase down the object.

Fravor told the New York Times that the US navy cruiser the Princeton had been tracking mysterious aircraft for two weeks before the encounter and that the objects would appear at 80,000 feet, plummet down to 20,000 feet, hover, and the shoot back up again.

When the planes reached the objects location Fravor tried to fly close to it, but the object flew away at high speed.

“It accelerated like nothing I’ve ever seen,” he told the newspaper, adding he was “pretty weirded out.”

Another jet sent out to chase the object captured it on the video that was recently released.

In it the amazed pilots can be heard describing the craft and its unusual flight patterns, before it finally flies off.

At the time, the navy did not investigate the incident further.

The US Department of Defense said in a statement the program is now over.

“The Advanced Aviation Threat Identification Program ended in the 2012 timeframe. It was determined that there were other, higher priority issues that merited funding and it was in the best interest of the DoD to make a change,” it said.

It added: “The DoD takes seriously all threats and potential threats to our people, our assets, and our mission and takes action whenever credible information is developed.”

The program was initially funded at the request of then Senator Harry Reid, the chamber’s majority leader at the time and a long-time enthusiast of space phenomena, the Times said.

Most of the money in the program went to an aerospace research company run by Robert Bigelow, a billionaire entrepreneur and longtime friend of Reid, the Times said.

“If anyone says they have the answers, they’re fooling themselves,” Reid, who retired from Congress last year, said in a tweet Saturday night.

“We don’t know the answers but we have plenty of evidence to support asking the questions. This is about science and national security. If America doesn’t take the lead in answering these questions, others will,” Reid wrote.

read more:
comments