Israel’s Ambassador to the United Nations Ron Prosor called on the Security Council to take drastic steps against Hezbollah in the wake of the group’s admission that it had planted a bomb targeting IDF troops on the Israel-Lebanon border last month.
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah said in an interview published Monday that his organization was behind the blast, which took place on March 14 in the Har Dov area but did not cause any casualties or damage to IDF position.
“Yes, the explosion in the Shebaa Farms that Hezbollah has not claimed until now was the work of the resistance, which means the work of Hezbollah,” Nasrallah told the Al-Safir daily.
In a letter to UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and the UN Security Council, Prosor noted that Nasrallah’s admission is further evidence that Hezbollah continues to act south of the Litani River, near the border with Israel, which is a violation of UN Security Council Resolution 1791 that ended the 2006 Second Lebanon War.
Another explosion in the Har Dov area days later left four soldiers injured and drew Israeli retaliatory strikes at Syrian army positions.
The March 14 blast came after IAF warplanes carried out airstrikes inside Lebanon that were believed to have targeted Hezbollah positions near Lebanon’s border with Syria.
“This was not the reply, but this was part of the reply,” Nasrallah told Al-Safir.
The message to Israel, he said, was “you hit a military target and the resistance responded by hitting a military target.”
Tensions have been running high between Israel and Hezbollah for months, with the Jewish state warning it would carry out strikes to prevent the group from obtaining advanced weaponry.