Toddler dies after being forgotten in car

Toddler dies after being forgotten in car

Two-year-old, who was taken out of vehicle in Yehud without a pulse, suffered severe heat stroke

Illustrative photo of an ambulance (Yaakov Naumi/Flash90)
Illustrative photo of an ambulance (Yaakov Naumi/Flash90)

A two-year-old boy died from severe heat stroke after he was found locked inside a vehicle in Yehud on Friday.

According to a preliminary police investigation, the toddler was locked inside the car for over forty minutes, Ynet reported, before his mother, who had been out shopping with the boy’s older sister, realized that she had forgotten him and rushed back to the vehicle. Several bystanders then broke open the car’s doors and quickly pulled the unconscious baby out.

A medical team that arrived at the scene attempted to resuscitate the two-year-old. The team then rushed the young boy, who was found without a pulse, to the nearby Tel Hashomer Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short while later.

The temperature in Yehud was 30° Celsius (86° Fahrenheit) at the time, according to the Meteotech weather service.

Earlier Friday, an 18-month old toddler was found locked in a car in Elad. He was rescued from the vehicle and was said to be in good condition.

A tragedy was averted after police in mid-July rescued a toddler from a locked car where he had been left for an hour by his parents

Last summer, a rash of similar incidents in Israel alarmed the public, launching debates about possible means of prevention and prompting a hyper vigilance that had seemed to save some children from such fates.

Last August, a 2-year-old boy was rescued from a locked car in Eilat by police, who broke through a window. In the same month, two children emerged unharmed from cars in central Israel after being rescued by passersby, but a three-year-old died in Beersheba hospital after being found unconscious in a car in the city

In July 2013, three young children died in separate incidents after being left in locked cars — including two cases that occurred within 24 hours — in the sweltering summer heat.

read more: