A three-year-old died Friday morning after being electrocuted under unclear circumstances in southern Israel.
The child was brought to a local health clinic in the Bedouin town of Ar’arat an-Naqab (Ar’ara BaNegev) near Beersheba, with signs of electrocution to his hand, Magen David Adom said.
Medics then took the toddler, who was listed in critical condition, to Beersheba’s Soroka Medical Center.
His death was declared by medical staff shortly after being admitted, the hospital said.
He was later identified as ‘Abd a-Rahman Abu Madi, from the unrecognized town of az-Zarnouq, also in the Negev desert.
The boy and his family had been visiting relatives in Ar’ara when the incident occurred, the Kan public broadcaster reported.
— כאן חדשות (@kann_news) October 8, 2021
Ar’ara and many other recognized and unrecognized Bedouin towns in southern Israel suffer from a lack of basic utilities and poor infrastructure.
It was not yet clear how Friday’s electrocution happened. Police are expected to open a formal investigation into the boy’s death.