Israeli actress Gal Gadot has reportedly refused to sign onto a sequel for the box office hit “Wonder Woman” unless distributor Warner Bros. cuts its financing deal on the film with producer Brett Ratner, who has been accused of sexual harassment.
According to the Page Six gossip site, Gadot is opposed to someone accused of widespread sexual impropriety benefiting financially from her work and is therefore holding out on a sequel unless Ratner’s RatPack Entertainment, which helped produce “Wonder Woman,” is jettisoned from the project.
“She’s tough and stands by her principles. She also knows the best way to hit people like Brett Ratner is in the wallet. She also knows that Warner Bros. has to side with her on this issue as it develops,” a Warner Bros. source told Page Six on Saturday.
“They can’t have a movie rooted in women’s empowerment being part-financed by a man accused of sexual misconduct against women,” the source added.
Earlier this month, Warner Bros. severed its ties with Ratner amid multiple sexual harassment claims made against him.
A person familiar with the decision said that Ratner’s expired first-look production deal with the studio will not be renewed and that he will no longer occupy the office space he rented on the company’s lot in Burbank, Calif. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly.
Ratner’s production company, RatPac Entertainment does have a financing deal with the studio that will continue until March 2018. The person said it is unclear whether that will be renewed. The $450-million co-financing deal was signed in 2013.
Ratner said earlier he was personally stepping away from Warner Bros. related activity.
Last month, Gadot withdrew from an awards dinner honoring Ratner, who was once accused of masturbating in front of actress Olivia Munn. Gadot was scheduled to present the Tree of Life award to Ratner at event for the Jewish National Fund before deciding to cancel her appearance.
He denied the allegation but was forced to later apologize for falsely saying he slept with her.
Gadot did not link her cancellation at the awards dinner to the allegations against Ratner, instead saying she had a scheduling conflict.
At the time, Gadot was in China to promote the upcoming “Justice League” film. She attended the premiere alongside co-star Ben Affleck, who apologized in October for grabbing actress Hilarie Burton’s breast in 2003 on the MTV show “Total Request Live.”
Gadot has strongly condemned sexual harassment as allegations of sexual harassment in Hollywood have continued to pour out and said she hopes the accusations will lead to a “profound” change in the entertainment industry.
“I think that we are in the midst of a very interesting, important trend of people speaking out,” Gadot told told Hadashot news (formerly Channel 2) in an interview aired Thursday. “I only hope that it is not just going to be a trend but it is going to be a profound change.”
After numerous accusations of rape and sexual assault first surfaced against producer Harvey Weinstein last month, Gadot strongly condemned sexual harassment and applauded women who had come forward with allegations of wrongdoing.
“I stand by all the courageous women confronting their fears and speaking out. Together we stand. We are all united in this time of change,” Gadot wrote on Instagram.
AP contributed to this report.