Jerusalem couple found dead from gas inhalation
search

Jerusalem couple found dead from gas inhalation

Police launch investigation focused on possible negligence, suicide after gas faucets were left open overnight

Zaka rescue personnel carry a body in Jerusalem's Romema neighborhood, where a couple were found dead from gas inhalation, Tuesday, September 8, 2015. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)
Zaka rescue personnel carry a body in Jerusalem's Romema neighborhood, where a couple were found dead from gas inhalation, Tuesday, September 8, 2015. (Yonatan Sindel/Flash90)

A couple in their fifties was found dead in their Jerusalem apartment Tuesday after inhaling gas as they slept.

The apartment, on Panim Meirot Street in the Jerusalem ultra-Orthodox neighborhood of Romema, was being cleared of gas by firefighters and a hazardous materials team.

According to officials, the apartment’s two gas faucets were left open for unknown reasons.

Based on initial findings, police say the deaths are not likely to have been a homicide. They have launched an investigation into possible negligence or suicide.

Officials said it was possible the leak had been going on since the start of the Jewish Sabbath on Friday night, as ritual Sabbath candlesticks were found still out on the dining table and a special heating plate used by observant Jews to keep food warm throughout the Sabbath was found plugged in and turned on.

The couple was found after neighbors reported a strong gas smell in the building.

A Magen David Adom medical crew pronounced them dead at the scene.

read more:
comments