The Syrian government denied reports Thursday that the presidential convoy of President Bashar Assad was attacked in the capital earlier in the morning.
“The news is wholly untrue,” said Information Minister Omran Zoabi on Syrian state television.
Earlier, Assad appeared on Syrian television performing Eid prayers — footage that was reportedly aired live. In the broadcast, Assad, dressed in a suit, is seen praying in a mosque next to Syria’s grand mufti to mark Eid al-Fitr, the three-day holiday that ends the holy month of Ramadan.
It was the Syrian leader’s third public appearance in over a week as his regime tries to capitalize on recent gains on the battlefield against rebels fighting to oust him from power.
Syrian rebels reported Thursday morning that they struck Assad’s convoy while it was on its way to a Damascus mosque for prayers. Rebel commander Firas al-Bitar told the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya news network that gunmen fired 17 mortars at the procession after “secret information” was obtained on Assad’s movements in al-Amaween Square located in the heart of the Syrian capital.
The rebel group Al-Sham Liberation Brigade and the Free Syrian Army claimed responsibility for the assault. Bitar told the Saudi-owned Al-Arabiya news network that he could not verify whether the president was injured or not.
Earlier, Syrian opposition forces said that the roads leading to the al-Rawdha neighborhood of Damascus, which houses the presidential office, had been closed for security reasons.
Damascus residents told Al-Jazeera that they had heard explosions near the area in question.
The Syrian civil war has been waging more than two years and has claimed the lives of over 100,000 people, according to the latest UN figures.
AP contributed to this report.