Two Israeli Border Police officers were seriously injured, with one of them described as “critical,” in a drive-by shooting attack on Salah a-Din Street, near Jerusalem’s Damascus Gate, on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The gunman opened fire at the on-duty officers, striking one in the head. As he attempted to escape the scene, security forces engaged him in a firefight, during which he shot the second officer.

Israel Police spokesperson Luba Samri said the gunman was shot dead.

Both victims were taken to Hadassah Hospital in Ein Kerem. Magen David Adom paramedics said one of the officers was 49 years of age and the other was a few years younger.

By late Tuesday, doctors said the two were still in serious condition, but that their lives were no longer in danger.

A main thoroughfare, Salah-a-Din Street is home to the Border Police headquarters in East Jerusalem.

It has been the site of many attacks in recent months. In February, three people were injured in a stabbing attack at the Damascus Gate — two border guards and a bystander who was hit by shrapnel. Earlier in the month, 19-year-old Border Police cadet Hadar Cohen was killed in a shooting attack at the Damascus Gate.

The attack in Jerusalem Tuesday took place minutes after a suspected terror stabbing that moderately wounded an Israeli man in the central city of Petah Tikva.

The scene of a stabbing in Petah Tikvah on Tuesday, March 8, 2016. (United Hatzalah)

The scene of a stabbing in Petah Tikvah on Tuesday, March 8, 2016. (United Hatzalah)

His assailant, whom police identified as an Arab man, followed his victim into a store on the city’s central Baron Hirsch Street and began stabbing him in his upper body, police said.

Police said that at one point the victim “regained composure” and together with the owner of the store subdued the attacker. The victim pulled the knife out of his own neck and stabbed the attacker to death, Channel 10 reported.

Raoul Wootlif and Tamar Pileggi contributed to this report.