GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) — Hamas has signed a pledge to back any Palestinian bid to join the International Criminal Court, two senior officials in the group said Saturday. Such a step could expose Israel — as well as Hamas — to war crimes investigations.

Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas has debated for months whether to join the court, a step that would transform his relations with Israel from tense to openly hostile and could also strain his ties with the United States.

The decision by Hamas to sign a document in support of a court bid removes a major obstacle, though it’s not clear if Abbas now will go ahead. A hesitant Abbas has said he would not make any decision without the written backing of all Palestinian factions. Last month, he obtained such support from all factions in the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Hamas, which is not a PLO member, has said it would study the idea. Its decision to support the court option came after almost seven weeks of a deadly cross-border war with Israel and several failed ceasefire efforts.

Since the war erupted July 8, more than 2,090 Palestinians have been killed according medical officials in Hams-run Gaza, including close to 500 children. About 100,000 Gazans have been left homeless, according to United Nations figures and Palestinian officials. Israel lost 64 soldiers and four civilians, including a 4-year-old boy killed by a mortar shell Friday.

The International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands (photo credit: Vincent van Zeijst/Wikimedia Commons/File)

The International Criminal Court in The Hague, Netherlands (photo credit: Vincent van Zeijst/Wikimedia Commons/File)

During the war, Gaza terrorists have fired more than 3,800 rockets and mortar shells at Israel, while Israel launched about 5,000 airstrikes at Gaza, the military said. Israel says it has targeted sites linked to militants, including rocket launchers and weapons. UN and Palestinian officials say three-fourths of those killed in Gaza have been civilians, though Israel says around half are militants.

On Saturday, an airstrike on a house in central Gaza killed two women, two children and a man, according to medics at the Red Crescent. Six strikes also hit a house in the Zeitoun neighborhood of Gaza, causing severe damage but no injuries, Gaza officials said.

Since the start of the Gaza war, Abbas has come under growing domestic pressure to pave the way for a possible war crimes investigation of Israel. Last month, he told senior PLO officials and leaders of smaller political groups he would only go ahead if Hamas supports the bid.

If Abbas were to turn to the court, Hamas could be investigated for indiscriminate rocket fire at Israel since 2000. Israel could come under scrutiny for its actions in the current Gaza war as well as decades of settlement building on war-won lands the Palestinians seek for a state.

Izzat al-Rishq, a senior Hamas official, said Saturday that Hamas was not concerned about becoming a target of a war crimes investigation.

“We are under occupation, under daily attack and our fighters are defending their people,” he said in a phone interview from Qatar. “These rockets are meant to stop Israeli attacks and it is well known that Israel initiated this war and previous wars.”

However, it is not clear if such arguments would hold up in court. After the last major round of Israel-Hamas fighting more than five years ago, a UN fact-finding team said both Israel and Hamas violated the rules of war by targeting civilians — Hamas by firing rockets at Israel. That report’s author, Richard Goldstone, later retracted his assertion that Israel had intentionally targeted civilians.

Judge Richard Goldstone (second from right) at public hearings in 2009 about alleged Israeli violations committed during Operation Cast Lead (photo credit: UN/Flash 90)

Judge Richard Goldstone (second from right) and Christine Chinkin (right) at public hearings in 2009 about alleged Israeli violations committed during Operation Cast Lead. (photo credit: UN/Flash 90)

Hamas’s decision to back a court bid came after meetings on Thursday and Friday in Qatar between Abbas and the top Hamas leader in exile, Khaled Mashaal.

Moussa Abu Marzouk, a senior Hamas leader who participated in the meetings, wrote on his Facebook page early Saturday that “Hamas has signed the paper” of support Abbas had requested. Al-Rishq said that “we studied the paper and signed it.” Abu Marzouk’s post was also reported on Hamas news websites.

There was no comment from Abbas aides and no immediate reaction from Israel, which has opposed involving the court.

Turning to the International Criminal Court became an option for Abbas in 2012, after the UN General Assembly recognized “Palestine” in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem, lands captured by Israel in 1967, as a non-member observer state. The upgrade to a state opened the door to requesting the court’s jurisdiction in Palestine.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press.