The National Security Council on Monday canceled a travel warning on Morocco that has been in effect for over a decade.
In a statement, the council said the decision was made following a top-level assessment that the estimated threat level to Israelis in Morocco has decreased after last year’s normalization deal between the countries.
“Simultaneously, it is advised to continue being on high alert while staying in the country,” the council said.
The statement did not give any further details on the move.
Israelis had been allowed to visit Morocco even before the countries agreed to reestablish ties last year after two decades, as part of a series of US-backed normalization deals between Israel and Arab countries.
The first direct commercial flights between Israel and Morocco took off in July.
Earlier this month, the Foreign Ministry’s appointments committee nominated Israel’s charge d’affaires in Morocco to be the permanent ambassador. David Govrin, who has headed the diplomatic mission in Rabat for the past two months, will now run the fully upgraded embassy.