Argentina is poised to commemorate the 25th anniversary of a terror attack against the Israeli embassy in Argentina, but no Israeli ministers have shown willingness to attend, a Channel 2 news reporter said Wednesday.
Udi Segal, the station’s veteran diplomatic correspondent, tweeted that while official events next week will be attended by bereaved families and Argentina’s vice president, Israel has so far failed to provide an official cabinet representative.
On March 17, 1992, a suicide bomber killed 29 and wounded hundreds in front of the Israeli embassy in Buenos Aires, in what still is the deadliest attack on an Israeli diplomatic mission. A group with ties to Iran and the Lebanese terrorist group Hezbollah took responsibility for the bombing.
At an event in Israel commemorating the bombing on Monday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Iran was the source of the vast majority of Israel’s security concerns.
Jerusalem, he said, knew right away that Tehran was behind the attack.
“Iran initiated, Iran planned, and Iran, through its henchman Hezbollah, also executed it.”