Mumbai attack suspect rearrested in Pakistan
search

Mumbai attack suspect rearrested in Pakistan

Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi accused of planning 2008 coordinated assault in which 166 people were killed, including six Jews at Chabad House

In this Saturday, June 28, 2008 file photo, Pakistani Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi speaks during a rally at Muzaffarabad, in Pakistani controlled Kashmir, Pakistan. (Roshan Mughal/AP)
In this Saturday, June 28, 2008 file photo, Pakistani Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi speaks during a rally at Muzaffarabad, in Pakistani controlled Kashmir, Pakistan. (Roshan Mughal/AP)

ISLAMABAD (AP) — Pakistani police have rearrested the main suspect in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks, officials said Tuesday, quashing expectations that he might soon be freed.

Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi is one of seven suspects being tried by Pakistan in connection with the attacks, which killed 166 people and seriously damaged relations between longtime rivals Pakistan and India.

After a judge on December 18 granted him bail there had been concerns that he would be freed, possibly as early as Tuesday. But Tuesday morning police arrested him on another case, his lawyer Rizwan Abbasi said.

Lakhvi appeared in court in Islamabad amid tight security. He told an Associated Press reporter that he accepted whatever God intended for him.

Police inspector Mohammed Arshad told the court that someone had filed a complaint at a police station on the Islamabad outskirts saying that Lakhvi had abducted his brother-in-law to wage “jihad” six and a half years ago. The judge granted a police request for time to investigate the accusation, extending Lakhvi’s detention for two days.

A lawyer for Lakhvi questioned why the complaint had only become known when it appeared that Lakhvi would be let go on bail. Rizwan Abbasi called it a tactic to “….deprive my client of the fundamental right of liberty.”

The legal maneuverings Tuesday stem from the decision on Dec. 18 by the judge in an anti-terrorism court to grant him bail, citing a lack of evidence.

That announcement was extremely embarrassing to the government, which had vowed to crack down on militancy following the Peshawar school attack days earlier. It provoked a harsh condemnation from India, which has repeatedly said Pakistan is not doing enough in the case.

In the wake of the bail announcement Pakistani legal authorities tried various mechanisms to keep Lakhvi behind bars, but in a hearing on Monday, a judge said that there were no grounds to prolong the detention and that the only thing standing between him and freedom was posting bail.

Pakistani television reported that senior officials met late Monday at the Interior Ministry to discuss the case. Lakhvi was rearrested the following morning.

The series of attacks in Mumbai in November 2008 by members of a Pakistan-based terror group left 166 people dead, including six at the Mumbai Chabad House, which was targeted along with luxury hotels, a train station and a popular cafe. Lakhvi is accused of planning the attacks.

read more:
less
comments
more