Palestinian indicted for car-ramming attack that killed 2 IDF soldiers
search

Palestinian indicted for car-ramming attack that killed 2 IDF soldiers

Ala Qabha charged with last month's murder of Netanel Kahalani, 20, and Ziv Daos, 21, seriously injuring two others

Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, left, and Cpt. Ziv Daos, right, are identified as the soldiers killed in an apparent car-ramming terror attack on March 16, 2018. (Courtesy)
Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, left, and Cpt. Ziv Daos, right, are identified as the soldiers killed in an apparent car-ramming terror attack on March 16, 2018. (Courtesy)

The Israeli military on Monday indicted a Palestinian man who rammed his car into a group of IDF soldiers last month, killing two.

Ala Qabha, 26, was charged with two counts of “intentionally causing death” — the equivalent of murder under military law — and two counts of attempting to intentionally cause death.

Qabha rammed his car into the group of soldiers on March 16 outside a military post in the northern West Bank, near the Mevo Dotan settlement, killing Sgt. Netanel Kahalani, and Capt. Ziv Daos and seriously injuring two others. The army later designated the car-ramming a terror attack.

The following day, the Shin Bet security agency said Qabha had confessed to carrying out the attack. It said Qabha had initially claimed the incident was an accident, but later changed his story and said it was deliberate and that he intended to murder soldiers.

The security agency said that it appeared he had acted alone, and possibly spontaneously.

March 16, 2018 Car-ramming suspect Ala Qabha (Courtesy)

Footage from the scene showed Qabha driving past the soldiers, then making a U-turn and accelerating into them.

Daos, 21, from the central town of Azor, was a platoon commander in a Home Front Command search and rescue unit. He was posthumously promoted to the rank of captain.

Kahalani, 20, from Elyakim in northern Israel, served as a driver in the Menashe Regional Brigade. He was promoted to the rank of sergeant.

Also on Monday, the Haifa District Court sentenced Yusuf Bin Muhammad Agbariah to two years in jail for planning to attack the US embassy in Israel.

Agbariah, 22, from Musheirifa, near Umm al-Fahm in the Haifa district, was arrested in August 2017. In addition to the jail time, he was sentenced to a nine-month suspended term and a NIS 10,000 ($2,850) fine after a plea bargain in which he confessed to the crime.

According to the indictment, Agbariah planned to carry out a terror attack on the US embassy in the first half of 2017, using Molotov cocktails and explosive devices. He reached out to Islamic State members using the Telegram private messaging app requesting information on how to prepare the explosives and carry out the attack.

A second, unnamed, defendant sent Agbariah links to help him prepare for the attack.

read more:
comments