A gunman opened fire at a US Navy base in Tennessee and wounded two service members before being taken into custody Thursday, the military said.
The Navy wrote on its official Twitter page that the suspect was in custody after the shooting at Naval Support Activity Mid-South. The wounded soldiers’ injuries were not life-threatening, according to the US Navy, which also stressed that ”this was not an active shooter situation.”
The Navy said the base was briefly placed on lockdown as a precaution.
A Navy recruiter who had been relieved of duty opened fire, said a law enforcement official briefed on the developments. The official was not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Naval Support Activity Mid-South has more than 7,500 military, civilian and contract personnel working on the base, according to the facility’s official website. The facility is home to human resources operations and serves as headquarters to the Navy Personnel Command, Navy Recruiting Command, the Navy Manpower Analysis Center and the US Army Corps of Engineers Finance Center.
— U.S. Navy (@USNavy) October 24, 2013
— Jason Miles (@JMilesWMC) October 24, 2013