PARIS — Aid workers in the port town of Calais are expressing worry over a lack of information ahead of Monday’s scheduled dismantling of France’s slum-like migrant camp.
French authorities have said they plan to relocate the 6,486 people still staying at the camp to reception centers across the country or abroad as a “humanitarian” operation.
The camp’s closure is expected to take a week.
French teacher Michel Abecassis said Saturday he’s concerned many “don’t know exactly where (the) reception centers are located” or “how many people there will be.”
Benedictine monk Johannes Maertens said it also remains unclear what will happen to many minors who want to go to the United Kingdom if they are refused entry.
France plans to assign teenagers remaining in the country to special reception centers.
Earlier this month, French police clashed with migrants and activists who attempted to hold a banned rally in order to protest the closing of the camp.
Copyright 2016 The Associated Press.