Heroic French officer who swapped himself for hostage in terror attack dies
search

Heroic French officer who swapped himself for hostage in terror attack dies

Death of Arnaud Beltrame raises toll to four in Friday’s assault in southern France, claimed by Islamic State

In this image dated March 2013 and provided by regional newspaper Ouest France, Arnaud Beltrame poses for a photo in Avranches, western France. (Ouest France via AP)
In this image dated March 2013 and provided by regional newspaper Ouest France, Arnaud Beltrame poses for a photo in Avranches, western France. (Ouest France via AP)

TREBES, France  — France’s top security official said Saturday that a heroic officer who swapped himself for a hostage during an attack on a supermarket has died of his injuries.

Interior Minister Gerard Collomb wrote in a tweet  that Col. Arnaud Beltrame had “died for his country.”

Beltrame offered himself up unarmed to the 25-year-old attacker in exchange for a female hostage. He managed to surreptitiously leave his cellphone on so that police outside could hear what was going on inside the supermarket. Officials said once they heard shots inside the market they decided to storm it, killing the gunman.

Beltrame was grievously injured, and his death raises the toll from the attack to four.

French special police forces arrive to perform a search operation at the Ozanam housing estate in Carcassonne, southwestern France on March 23, 2018, following the shooting dead by French security officers of an armed hostage taker ( AFP PHOTO / PASCAL PAVANI)

The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack, the deadliest since Emmanuel Macron became president last May.

The assailant, identified as 25-year-old Radouane Lakdim, had earlier killed three people and wounded five others in France’s first major jihadist attack since October.

“Our country has suffered an Islamist terrorist attack,” President  Emmanuel Macron said in a televised address following the rampage in the medieval town of Carcassonne and nearby Trebes.

He also paid tribute to Beltrame. “He saved lives and honoured his colleagues and his country,” he said.

French President Emmanuel Macron (C) delivers a speech at the Interior Minister in Paris attended by Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Director General of the Gendarmerie Nationale Richard Lizurey (R) after a hostage situation in a supermarket in the village of Trebes, on March 23, 2018. (AFP PHOTO / POOL / PHILIPPE WOJAZER)

The Islamic State group claimed the attack was in response to its call to target Western enemies — as is customary when the assailant has pledged allegiance to the jihadists.

The shootings come as France remains on high alert following a string of deadly attacks that have killed more than 240 people since 2015.

Top anti-terror prosecutor Francois Molins said the gunman had convictions for carrying a banned weapon and for drug use.

“He had been on a watchlist for his radicalisation and links to the Salafist movement,” Molins told reporters in Carcassonne, adding that Lakdim had been tracked for his online contacts with extremists.

Security sources said Lakdim was born in Taza in northern Morocco and held French nationality. His partner, who lived with him in Carcassonne, has been detained, Molins said.

Lakdim started his rampage in Carcassonne at around 10:30 am (0930 GMT), hijacking a car and shooting the two people inside, Molins said. The passenger was killed, and the driver remains in a critical condition.

French security and police gather outside the Super U supermarket in the town of Trebes, southern France, where a terrorist took hostages and killed at least two before he was killed by security forces, on March 23, 2018. (AFP Photo/Pascal Pavani)

Lakdim then shot and wounded a police officer who was out jogging with colleagues before driving to nearby Trebes where he burst into the Super U supermarket.

“The attacker entered the store shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest) and saying he was a soldier of the Islamic State, ready to die for Syria,” Molins said.

He further demanded “the release of his brothers” from prison before shooting a supermarket customer and an employee dead.

“I was five metres away from him,” the store’s security guard said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“He shot at me twice.” Luckily for the security guard, “he shot badly.”

Hero policeman wounded

About 50 people were in the supermarket at the time, and though some people managed to escape, several remained inside.

Senior officer Beltrame offered to take the place of a woman Lakdim was using as a human shield while his colleagues negotiated with the gunman, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said.

The officer “left his telephone on the table” to allow police who had surrounded the building to listen in, Collomb said.

When special forces heard shots they stormed the store, killing the gunman and recovering Beltrame, who had been seriously wounded.

Tough questions for government

Trebes, a sleepy town of 5,000 people along the Canal du Midi, was on lockdown throughout Friday as helicopters swirled overhead and heavily armed and masked police carried out a massive operation in Lakdim’s neighbourhood.

The fact that Lakdim had been monitored as a potential extremist will raise difficult questions for Macron’s government as to how he slipped through the net.

“We had monitored him and did not think he had been radicalised,” Interior Minister Collomb said after flying to the scene.

“He was already under surveillance when he suddenly decided to act.”

In Paris, the Eiffel Tower dimmed its lights at midnight in a mark of respect for the victims and a minute’s silence was held at the Stade de France before a football match between France and Colombia.

(COMBO) This combination of pictures created on March 23, 2018 shows the lights of the Eiffel Tower as they are dimmed at midnight,in Paris to honor victims killed at a supermarket in southwest France by a man claiming allegiance to the Islamic State.
Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo announced that the Eiffel Tower would switch off its light at midnight to honour the victims. (AFP PHOTO / Zakaria ABDELKAFI)

Friday’s violence took place in a part of France still scarred by a killing spree in 2012 in the city of Toulouse and nearby Montauban where another jihadist, Mohamed Merah, shot dead seven people including three Jewish schoolchildren.

That assault marked the first of several big Islamist attacks in France since 2015, including the massacre at the satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, the November 2015 attacks that killed 130 in Paris, and a summer 2016 truck attack during Bastille Day festivities in Nice.

The most recent assault came in October when a Tunisian man stabbed to death two women at Marseille’s railway station, shouting “Allahu Akbar”.

A state of emergency put in place just after the 2015 Paris attacks was lifted last October when Macron’s centrist government passed a new law boosting the powers of security forces.

read more:
less
comments
more