IDF arrests Hamas official in Jenin in overnight raid

Abdul Jabbar Jarrar, a top member of the terror group, has been detained repeatedly by Israel over the years

Judah Ari Gross is The Times of Israel's religions and Diaspora affairs correspondent.

Abdul-Jabbar Jarrar in an undated photograph. (Twitter)
Abdul-Jabbar Jarrar in an undated photograph. (Twitter)

Israeli security forces arrested a top Hamas official in the northern West Bank city of Jenin in a predawn raid on Tuesday, the Israeli military said.

Abdul-Jabbar Jarrar was detained by Israeli forces after they searched his home, Palestinian media reported.

According to Palestinian outlets, the raid to arrest Jarrar was conducted by Israeli forces, some of them in disguise. That was not immediately confirmed by the Israel Defense Forces.

The IDF confirmed arresting Jarrar, but would not comment further on the raid.

Jarrar has been arrested by Israeli forces several times in recent years for his activities in the Hamas terror group. According to Palestinian media, he was arrested in November 2020, in May 2018, and in October 2015. After the 2015 arrest, he was held without formal charges under administrative detention for nearly two years.

The overnight arrest raid came amid heightened tensions in the West Bank, after Israeli troops shot dead a three-person Al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade cell that Israel said carried out a number of shooting attacks against Israeli military positions in the West Bank in the weeks prior.

Israeli troops arrested 19 other Palestinian suspects in raids across the West Bank overnight, the military said on Tuesday.

The killing of the three terrorists sparked outrage among Palestinians, as well as in the Palestinian Authority, which threatened to halt security cooperation with Israel over the affair.

Earlier this week, Israeli troops clashed with Palestinians, killing one of them, in Silat al-Harithiya in the northern West Bank as they entered the village to demolish a floor of a home in which terror suspect Mahmoud Jaradat lived.

In a statement, the Israeli military said that troops had come under fire and that “soldiers fired at several armed [Palestinians] who they identified at the scene.” According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, four Palestinians were wounded during the clashes.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed