search

Iran arrests separatist leader accused of 2018 parade attack that killed 25

Iranian media claims Harakat Al-Nazal terror group, allegedly behind the shooting, is supported by Israeli and Saudi intelligence services

Iranian soldiers carrying away an injured colleague at the scene of an attack on a military parade that was marking the anniversary of the outbreak of its devastating 1980-1988 war with Saddam Hussein's Iraq, September 22, 2018, in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz. (AFP/ ISNA / MORTEZA JABERIAN)
Iranian soldiers carrying away an injured colleague at the scene of an attack on a military parade that was marking the anniversary of the outbreak of its devastating 1980-1988 war with Saddam Hussein's Iraq, September 22, 2018, in the southwestern Iranian city of Ahvaz. (AFP/ ISNA / MORTEZA JABERIAN)

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran’s intelligence ministry arrested a leader of a separatist group allegedly involved in the killing of dozens of people during a military parade in 2018, state-run IRNA news agency reported Thursday.

The report said the ministry announced that Farajollah Cha’ab was arrested and called him “the main person in the terrorist attack” in September 2018 in the southwestern city of Ahvaz.

According to the report, which did not elaborate on when or where he was arrested, Cha’ab’s group, Harakat Al-Nazal, “is under direct support of  Saudi and Zionist intelligence services.”

The statement said Cha’ab had been planning more attacks in Tehran and Khuzestan province.

In September 2018, militants disguised as soldiers opened fire on an annual military parade in Ahvaz city, the capital of Khuzestan province. At least 25 people were killed and 70 wounded, including a 4-year-old boy.

Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.

read more:
comments