Palestinian man dies 2 years after being shot in neck by IDF soldier

Haroun Abu Aram was left paralyzed by shooting during scuffle over alleged illegal construction in 2021; army says incident unintentional, Palestinians disagree

Palestinians scuffle with Israeli soldiers outside of al-Tuwani, southeast of Yatta, in the South Hebron Hills in the West Bank, on January 1, 2021. (Screenshot)
Palestinians scuffle with Israeli soldiers outside of al-Tuwani, southeast of Yatta, in the South Hebron Hills in the West Bank, on January 1, 2021. (Screenshot)

A Palestinian man has died two years after being shot in the neck by an Israel Defense Forces soldier during a clash in the West Bank, the Palestinian Health Ministry announced on Tuesday.

Haroun Abu Aram, 26, had been paralyzed from the neck down and had trouble breathing since he was shot in January 2021.

The ministry said he had died from injuries sustained “two years ago from live bullets of the occupation in Masafer Yatta,” a flashpoint area in the South Hebron Hills that the IDF has designated a live firing zone.

Abu Aram was shot as troops arrived to confiscate an electric generator and other equipment from the unrecognized West Bank village of al-Rakeez. The generator was allegedly used in illegal construction.

The military said the lives of the soldiers involved had been in danger when the shooting took place. An investigation found that the bullet was not aimed at Abu Aram’s neck, but was fired unintentionally after another Palestinian grabbed the soldier’s gun, the military said after the incident.

The IDF said an initial probe of the incident determined that a riot had broken out as the soldiers attempted to seize the materials. Abu Aram, who witnesses said was unarmed, was engaged in a tug-of-war over the electric generator with the troops seeking to confiscate it.

Palestinian eyewitnesses have denied this description of the events, saying the shot was fired intentionally.

They have also contested the military’s description of the event as a “riot.” A video from the scene showed a scuffle between four unarmed Palestinians and the soldiers.

The IDF said Tuesday that a Military Police investigation into the incident had “recently” been closed after the Military Advocate General found the evidence did not show “a criminal offense being committed.”

Palestinian eyewitnesses told The Times of Israel after the incident that they had not been contacted as part of the army’s initial investigation.

After Abu Aram was hospitalized for months in Hebron, a group of Israelis raised tens of thousands of shekels to have him moved to a rehabilitation center in Tel Aviv to undergo therapy to improve his breathing.

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.