Settlers, Palestinians clash in West Bank as low-grade violence continues

Attackers trash vineyards outside the Esh Kodesh outpost; 12 settlers injured

A Palestinian throwing stones at Israeli troops in the West Bank in December. (photo credit: Issam Rimawi/Flash90)
A Palestinian throwing stones at Israeli troops in the West Bank in December. (photo credit: Issam Rimawi/Flash90)

Up to 200 Palestinians attacked the vineyards Saturday next to the Esh Kodesh outpost, located near the West Bank settlement of Shiloh. The Palestinians and the settlers threw stones at each other. The violence was broken up by IDF soldiers using tear gas and other crowd-control methods.

Twelve outpost residents were reportedly injured in the clashes, including one who required hospitalization.

[mappress mapid=”3276″]

The violence between the two groups began last week over the cultivation of a field claimed by both sides. Palestinian farmers began plowing the field last week, but were confronted by settlers.

Israel’s Supreme Court recently ruled that the Palestinians could plow the land. Outpost residents claim that they have cultivated the tract of land for 10 years.

On Thursday morning, the tires of four vehicles were found slashed, and graffiti — reading (in Hebrew) “mutual responsibility” and “holy fire” (Esh Kodesh) — was discovered spray-painted on a gas station wall in the area. A Star of David was found spray-painted on another wall nearby.

The number of violent incidents between Israeli citizens and Palestinians in the West Bank has risen sharply over the past weeks.

Also on Sunday, three Palestinians with knives were arrested at the Etzion junction in the settlement bloc south of Jerusalem. The three said they planned to carry out an attack, according to initial reports.

No charges in Molotov case

Elesewhere Sunday, the State Attorney’s Office in Jerusalem dropped charges against a 13-year-old Israeli accused of hurling Molotov cocktails at a Palestinian cab near the Gush Etzion settlement of Bat Ayin last August.

The Justice Ministry explained that “after thoroughly investigating the evidence, no proof was found sufficient enough at the level required by criminal law in order to prove the criminal’s identity and therefore no indictment will be submitted for now. Investigation of the matter will continue.”

read more:
Never miss breaking news on Israel
Get notifications to stay updated
You're subscribed
Register for free
and continue reading
Registering also lets you comment on articles and helps us improve your experience. It takes just a few seconds.
Already registered? Enter your email to sign in.
Please use the following structure:
Or Continue with
By registering you agree to the terms and conditions. Once registered, you’ll receive our Daily Edition email for free.
Register to continue
Or Continue with
Log in to continue
Sign in or Register
Or Continue with
check your email
Check your email
We sent an email to you at .
It has a link that will sign you in.