Sister sticks battery in baby’s nose… thinking old one had run out
search
Assault and battery

Sister sticks battery in baby’s nose… thinking old one had run out

Doctors safely remove object from nostril but stress the importance of ensuring young children are always supervised, especially during summer vacation

Illustrative image of button battery (AntonioGuillem, iStock by Getty Images)
Illustrative image of button battery (AntonioGuillem, iStock by Getty Images)

A young girl thought her baby brother’s batteries had run out, so she inserted a new one into his nose, leading to an emergency trip to the hospital, Channel 10 news reported Tuesday.

The two-year-old boy was taking a nap. According to the doctor who treated him, the baby’s sister, thinking her brother operated like her toys, shoved a button cell up his nose to get him going again. The report did not say how old the sister was.

The parents, from the north of Israel, rushed their son to the Galilee Medical Center, where the battery was removed from the boy’s nostril without causing any major damage.

However, the center’s Dr. Amiel Dror stressed that the incident could have had a far more serious outcome. Unlike regular batteries, button batteries release chemicals even when not connected to a circuit, and had it not been removed quickly it could have caused serious damage to the nasal tissue. Or if the boy had inhaled it further, or swallowed the battery he could have been in serious danger.

Speaking to Channel 10, Dror stressed that ahead of the summer school vacation it was extremely important for parents to supervise their children at all times.

Dr. Amiel Dror of the Galilee Medical Center on June 2, 2018. (Screen capture: Channel 10)
read more:
less
comments
more