Turkish security forces on Wednesday shot dead a suspected Islamic State activist whom they suspected was planning a suicide bombing in the capital, Ankara, the state-run Anadolu agency reported.
The report said the man, identified only as Ahmet B., 24, from Diyarbakir province in southeast Turkey, was shot when he failed to respond to demands he surrender during a raid on his home.
Ankara Province Governor Ercan Topaca was quoted as saying the suspect had intended to carry out a suicide attack, and had been seen visiting two sites due to host events for Republic Day on October 29 and the anniversary of the death of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey, on November 10.
Intelligence services reportedly tracked the man to an area of public housing in Ankara. A large haul of explosives was found there, including gelignite, TNT and some seven kilograms (15 pounds) of ammonium nitrate, often used in homemade bombs, an unnamed security official told the agency.
On Monday, Ankara’s governor banned public gatherings in the province until November 30, except for during Republic Day and the commemoration of Ataturk’s death, after receiving information that militants were planning attacks.
Turkish-backed forces are fighting the Islamic State close to the Turkish-Syrian border and are taking part in attempts to push IS jihadists out of the Iraqi city of Mosul. They are also in an ongoing war against Kurdish separatists.
Ankara is one of five provinces for which terror warnings were issued recently by Turkey’s intelligence agency.
Terror attacks combined with a failed coup in July to prompt massive security crackdowns throughout the country.
Earlier this month, two suspected Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) members believed to be planning a car bomb attack blew themselves up after being confronted by police in Ankara.
In February, at least 30 people died and 60 were hurt in the city when a suicide car bomb exploded, killing mainly soldiers and civilian employees of the military as the army buses in which they were traveling stopped at a traffic light.
In March, 37 people were killed and more than 120 wounded when a suicide car bomb ripped through a busy square in central Ankara.
Just over a year ago, on October 12, 2015, a double suicide bombing attack on a peace rally of leftist, labor and Kurdish activists in Ankara killed 97.
Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.