BEIJING (AP) — UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Wednesday the world body’s peacekeeping efforts face growing dangers from non-traditional threats such as suicide bombers and improvised explosive devices.
Ban told reporters on a visit to a peacekeeping training base near the Chinese capital that the UN must ensure that peacekeepers have the necessary training and specialized skills to face the threats.
These threats “are not new to the UN, but they are more intense,” Ban said.
Ban’s comments came at the start of a three-day visit to China to meet with newly appointed President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang. Their discussions are expected to include China’s growing involvement in UN affairs, along with international topics including tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
He said peacekeepers need to react rapidly and gather and analyze information on remote areas. In order to ensure that capability, the UN is deploying drones for the first time to its mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ban said.
Ban also praised China’s commitment to peacekeeping efforts. China has dispatched 22,000 troops to 23 missions, more than the other four permanent members of the UN Security Council combined.
“I applaud this solidarity,” Ban said, noting 14 Chinese peacekeepers have died while serving.
In all, nearly 3,000 peacekeepers have died in the line of duty since the first were deployed 65 years ago — 103 of them last year in Congo, Darfur, Sudan, Ivory Coast and other countries. Eight more civilian contractors, such as pilots, also died during deployment with peacekeeping missions in 2012.
The United Nations currently has more than 113,000 personnel serving in 16 UN peacekeeping and political missions.
In the latest crisis to hit peacekeeping efforts, Austria announced it would pull out its 377 peacekeepers from the 911-member UN force in the Golan Heights after fighting from the Syrian civil war threatened their positions earlier this month. That will leave just 341 Philippine soldiers and 193 from India in the strategic area along the border with Israel.
Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario told reporters Wednesday that his country will keep its peacekeepers in place at least until August 3. It will then consider a request from Ban to stay on, del Rosario said.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.