ISTANBUL, Turkey — Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan Friday warned that Ankara would restart its operation against Kurdish forces in Syria on Tuesday evening if they do not withdraw from a “safe zone.”
After US Vice President Mike Pence came to Ankara for talks with Erdogan on Thursday, the NATO allies agreed Turkey would suspend its offensive for five days in northern Syria while Kurdish fighters withdraw from the area.
“If the promises are kept until Tuesday evening, the safe zone issue will be resolved. If it fails, the operation… will start the minute 120 hours are over,” Erdogan told reporters during a foreign media briefing in Istanbul.
He said Turkish armed forces would remain in the region “because the security there requires this,” adding that there had been no issues so far.
But the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Friday there were Turkish airstrikes on the village of Bab al-Kheir, east of Ras al-Ain on the border. The war monitor said 14 civilians were killed.
Turkey launched the cross-border incursion on October 9 after repeatedly threatening to clear the border area from the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia.
The Turkish forces are supporting Syrian rebel fighters under the “Syrian National Army” banner but the proxies have been accused by Amnesty International of committing “war crimes” including summary executions.
Erdogan also condemned the abuses that some Syrian proxies are accused of committing during the offensive.
“Whoever commits such an act is no different from (the Islamic State group). We cannot accept such a thing,” he said, adding that the army was investigating the claims.
Kurdish authorities in northeastern Syria also accused Turkey of resorting to banned weapons such as napalm and white phosphorus munitions, which Erdogan denied.
“There are certainly no chemical weapons in the inventory of our armed forces. This is all slander against our armed forces,” he added.
He accused the YPG of freeing nearly 750 IS extremists including 150 Turks but said 195 of them had been caught.
No intention to stay
While US President Donald Trump appeared to initially green light the offensive, he made repeated threats against Turkey, often in tweets, following international outrage.
He then sent Pence and the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo with other US officials to Ankara to thrash out a deal, which was announced on Thursday after hours of talks.
Erdogan said the “safe zone” would be 32 kilometers (20 miles) deep, and 444 kilometers in length, not between Kobane and Tal Abyad, and patrolled by Turkey.
He added that the region between the border towns of Tal Abyad and Ras al-Ain had been cleared, “but this is not over. The process is ongoing.”
Pointing to a map, he said 12 observation posts would be set up to monitor the zone.
But, he said, “We have no intention to stay there. This is out of the question.”
Cannot forget Trump’s letter
Just hours before the US-Turkey talks, a bizarre letter appeared in the US media from Trump to Erdogan, in which the US leader urged Erdogan not to be a “fool” and warned his Turkish counterpart that history risked branding him a “devil.”
Turkish media reported that Erdogan had “binned” the letter.
ICYMI: "Don't be a tough guy. Don't be a fool!"
????This is the letter Trump sent to Erdogan prior to today's announcement of a ceasefire in Turkey pic.twitter.com/NxG3gL9CnI
— Bloomberg TicToc (@tictoc) October 18, 2019
Erdogan said his country “cannot forget” the harshly worded letter from Trump, but he said the mutual “love and respect” between the two leaders prevents him from keeping it on Turkey’s agenda.
These were his first comments concerning the Oct. 9 letter from Trump, in which among other things he warned Erdogan not to be a “tough guy.”
Erdogan said that Turkey would “do what’s necessary” concerning the letter “when the time comes.” He did not elaborate.
Erdogan said: “President Trump’s letter, which did not go hand in hand with political and diplomatic courtesy, has appeared in the media. Of course we haven’t forgotten it. It would not be right for us to forget it.”
Turkish troops and Turkish-backed Syrian fighters launched their offensive against Kurdish militias in Syria a week ago. That came two days after Trump suddenly announced he was withdrawing American troops from the border area.
The Times of Israel covers one of the most complicated, and contentious, parts of the world. Determined to keep readers fully informed and enable them to form and flesh out their own opinions, The Times of Israel has gradually established itself as the leading source of independent and fair-minded journalism on Israel, the region and the Jewish world.
We've achieved this by investing ever-greater resources in our journalism while keeping all of the content on our site free.
Unlike many other news sites, we have not put up a paywall. But we would like to invite readers who can afford to do so, and for whom The Times of Israel has become important, to help support our journalism by joining The Times of Israel Community. Join now and for as little as $6 a month you can both help ensure our ongoing investment in quality journalism, and enjoy special status and benefits as a Times of Israel Community member.