LOS ANGELES — Los Angeles police say they are investigating a possible sexual assault case against Harvey Weinstein — the first involving the producer in the city.
Police spokesman Sal Ramirez said the department has interviewed a possible sexual assault victim who reported an incident that occurred in 2013.
He said the investigation is ongoing and he could not answer any questions about when the interview or incident took place.
Police in New York and London are also investigating the fallen movie mogul over allegations of sex abuse in those cities.
“Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but he unequivocally denies allegations of non-consensual sex,” his representative Sallie Hofmeister wrote in a statement.
Weinstein has been accused of sexual harassment or abuse by more than three dozen women, including several top actresses including Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie.
On Thursday, director Quentin Tarantino said he knew about a few instances of improper conduct by Weinstein and wishes he had done more.
Speaking to The New York Times in an interview published Thursday, Tarantino expressed remorse for not having taken responsibility at the time. He said he knew first hand of Weinstein’s conduct toward actress Mira Sorvino and another he declined to name. Sorvino and Tarantino were dating at the time.
Tarantino also said he knew about the settlement reached with actress Rose McGowan.
Tarantino has partnered with Weinstein on most of his films, from “Pulp Fiction” to “The Hateful Eight” in a fruitful business relationship that spans two decades. He said it was impossible that anyone who was close to Weinstein had not heard about at least one incident.
Weinstein was fired from The Weinstein Co., the film company he co-founded, earlier this month after several harassment incidents were detailed in The New York Times. Additional allegations, including from three women who said Weinstein sexually assaulted them, were included in a subsequent article by The New Yorker. Two of the women, including Italian actress Asia Argento, were named while the third accuser wasn’t identified.
Argento told the magazine that in 1997 Weinstein forcibly performed oral sex on her at a hotel in France when she was 21 years old.
Weinstein, 65, resigned from the board of directors of his former company earlier this week. He has not been seen in public since last week.
The Oscar winner has been expelled from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and the Producers Guild of America has started the process of expelling him.