Six convicted of assaulting hospital security guards

Six convicted of assaulting hospital security guards

Five men confess to brutal attacks at Tel Aviv’s Ichilov; 19-year-old woman convicted of several assaults and threats

Screen capture from video of a group of men confronting security guards in the ER unit of Ichilov Hospital, Tel Aviv, September 27, 2017. (YouTube/Times of Israel)
Screen capture from video of a group of men confronting security guards in the ER unit of Ichilov Hospital, Tel Aviv, September 27, 2017. (YouTube/Times of Israel)

Six people, including the head of a known criminal gang from the central Israel city of Rishon Lezion and his girlfriend, were convicted in a plea bargain for severely beating up security guards at Tel Aviv’s Ichilov Hospital in September, the Justice Ministry said Wednesday.

David Amoyal, 35, and his girlfriend, 19-year-old model Elia Kadosh, were convicted along with four of their friends of causing serious injury as a group and group assault causing bodily harm. Amoyal and Kadosh were also convicted of menacing behavior, while Kadosh was convicted of further charges including assaulting a police officer, assaulting and threatening a taxi driver and violating the terms of her house arrest.

An altercation between security guards and the family of a patient is seen outside the Ichilov Hospital ER, June 27, 2017 (Security camera footage/Courtesy Ichilov Hospital)

The four others who participated in the assault are Ruslan Misayev, 28, Mor Biton, 21, Hanan Alfasi, 49, and Avraham Yosephov, 28. The defendants were convicted in a plea bargain at the Tel Aviv District Court, with several charges dropped in exchange for their confession and cooperation.

According to the deal, Amoyal will serve 25 months in prison, Yosephov 22 months, Alfasi 19 months, and Misayev and Biton 17 months each. Additionally, the court will fine them and hand them suspended sentences, with the exact details to be determined by the judge. The group will also deposit NIS 120,000 (about $35,000) as compensation to their victims.

Meanwhile, Kadosh will undergo an evaluation to determine her mental fitness before punishment is set. The prosecution will “limit itself to a jail sentence, which could be served in the form of community service, if the defendant will be found fit for it,” the Justice Ministry said in a statement.

The charge sheet described the incident, which was captured in its entirety on security cameras. It said Kadosh came to the hospital’s emergency center on September 28, accompanied by Misayev, a friend of Amoyal. At some point, Kadosh began to swear and scream at the medical team, complaining that she was not receiving adequate treatment.

One of the security guards noticed her trying to grab the telephone from the head nurse and tried to move her away from the counter, according to the charge sheet.

She then threatened the medical team and the guards and said, “Wait and see what’ll happen to you when my husband arrives.”

Misayev then left and contacted Amoyal.

Arriving at the hospital with Biton, Alfasi and Yosephov, Amoyal spotted one of the guards at the entrance, and shouted to him, “I am your Satan, just wait, not in front of the cameras, I’ll catch you outside,” the prosecution said, quoting the video footage.

The five then went into the emergency room and began attacking four guards, one of whom hit his head on the floor and had to be taken to the trauma unit.

The attackers then fled back to their car with three guards in pursuit. When one of the guards tried to stop Yosephov from getting into the car, Amoyal and the four other men pinned him to the wall and attacked him “without mercy,” beating him in the face, head and all over his body, according to the allegations.

One of the guards needed stitches to his head and had one tooth broken and another damaged, requiring lengthy dental treatment.

Another guard suffered cuts to his head and upper lip, the court heard, while the third sustained bruising and swelling in his head, nose and shoulder.

When police arrived, Kadosh allegedly tried to get away from the unit and when told to sit down, punched a policewoman in the face twice and spat at her.

When tackled to the floor, she allegedly scratched the policewoman’s face, spat at her and tried to bite her, swearing at her throughout. Once handcuffed, she allegedly continued trying to spit and kick until police cuffed her feet as well.

Security camera footage of the attack showed the guards being surrounded and kicked and punched by the attackers. The hospital said that the medical and nursing staff were “stunned and frightened by the violence.”

On October 11, the indictment said, Kadosh violated her house arrest by going to a friend’s house in the central city of Yehud.

After visiting with her friend, Kadosh took a cab to Wolfson Medical Center in the Tel Aviv suburb of Holon and agreed with the driver ahead of the ride on a NIS 110 ($31.50) cab fare. However, after arriving at the hospital, Kadosh refused to pay the fare and got out of the cab, leading the driver to get out also to try and collect the fare he was owed.

After a heated argument broke out between them, Kadosh slapped the driver on the cheek and threatened to further hurt him, according to the indictment.

“You’d better get out of here because I’m all worked up. I’ll break your face… If you touch me I’ll smash you, I’ll sit shiva for you,” the indictment quoted her as saying.

Three days later, on October 14, Kadosh went to Abarbanel Mental Health Center in Bat Yam, where she was accompanied by a police officer in accordance with the conditions of her house arrest.

While at the hospital, Kadosh called another patient into her room. She then blocked the door to prevent the other patient from leaving the room, in violation of the officer’s orders. As the officer tried to move Kadosh from the door, she attacked him, hitting him in the face, kicking him and trying to bite him, according to the indictment.

After the policeman finally succeeded in handcuffing with the help of another officer, Kadosh poured a bottle of Coca-Cola on him.

Following the original hospital attack, a group representing Israel’s emergency doctors demanded that the government immediately post a uniformed police officer in every ER to protect staff against what it said was a wave of increasingly violent attacks on its personnel.

Times of Israel staff contributed to this report.

read more: