Netanyahu: Don’t evict Hebron settlers occupying contested home
search

Netanyahu: Don’t evict Hebron settlers occupying contested home

Some 100 squatters say protest move is a response to ‘government zig-zagging’ regarding violence surrounding the Temple Mount

Jacob Magid is the settlements correspondent for The Times of Israel.

Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu items found in a weapons factory discovered in the West Bank city of Hebron, during a visit to the IDF West Bank Division, near the Israeli settlement of Beit El, January 10, 2017. (Hadas Parush/Flash90)
Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu items found in a weapons factory discovered in the West Bank city of Hebron, during a visit to the IDF West Bank Division, near the Israeli settlement of Beit El, January 10, 2017. (Hadas Parush/Flash90)

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has ordered Defense Minister Avigdor Liberman not to immediately evict around 100 settlers squatting in a disputed house near the Tomb of the Patriarchs in the West Bank city of Hebron, sources close to the prime minister said Tuesday night.

Some 15 Israeli families illegally entered the Machpela House Tuesday saying it was a response to the governments prevarications over security measures at the Temple Mount.

Speaking with The Times of Israel, the group’s spokesman Shlomo Levinger said the decision to occupy the structure was made in response to “government zig-zagging” regarding violence surrounding the Temple Mount.

He insisted that the five-story building in front of the Tomb of the Patriarchs had been lawfully purchased by the Israelis from an original Palestinian owner, but Palestinians contest this.

Israeli squatters at the Machpela House in Hebron, July 25, 2017. (Courtesy Amutat Harchivi)
Israeli squatters at the Machpela House in Hebron, July 25, 2017. (Courtesy Amutat Harchivi)

In a move likely to likely to further inflame ongoing tensions over holy sites, Netanyahu is said to have told the defense establishment to hold off removing the settlers from the building until at least Wednesday morning.

In 2012, the same number of families briefly squatted in the same building, but the Civil Administration — the Defense Ministry body that rules on issues of West Bank land ownership — ruled that the settlers did not have sufficient evidence proving that they owned the property. The families were subsequently removed from the site, which has since been declared a closed military zone.

The group has more than once attempted to appeal the decision, and last month the Civil Administration agreed to once again hear their bid to claim the property. However, the inquiry has not yet taken place, and the army order banning entry still remains in effect.

Nevertheless, the settlers issue a statement demanding the government to “proudly raise the banner of settlement and loyalty to the Land of Israel,” and also called on Netanyahu to allow them to remain in the building.

Security forces arrived at the scene and were preventing anyone else from entering the building.

Israeli border police seen evacuating the Machpela House in Hebron on April 4, 2012. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)
Israeli border police seen evacuating the Machpela House in Hebron on April 4, 2012. (Miriam Alster/Flash90)

The Peace Now settlement watchdog called on authorities to evacuate the settlers immediately. “After their claims of ownership had been denied, the settlers have decided to take the law into their own hands and establish an illegal settlement that might ignite the region,” the NGO said in a statement.

There is constant friction between Hebron’s 200,000 Palestinian residents and several hundred Israeli settlers who live in the heart of the city under heavy military guard.

The squatting comes amidst continued tensions surrounding the Temple Mount. Late Monday night, Israel removed security cameras along with metal detectors installed outside the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, in a bid to defuse spiraling tensions that have set Jerusalem and the West Bank aflame in recent days.

The security measures had been set up last week in the wake of a terror attack at the holy site on July 14 in which Arab Israeli terrorists used guns smuggled into the compound to kill two police officers standing guard nearby.

AFP contributed to this report.

read more:
less
comments
more